Monday 20 November 2017

Back on stage - Starting some last-minute preparation for the Heussenstammer Sparkassen-Open

After some really heavy 3 months (of additional work) I am finally able - and more than just willing - to dedicate yet again some time to Chess. Although I kept my (almost) daily dosis of CT-ART alive and managed it to an all time high of 2527. However, I am well aware of the fact that this is by far not enough to increase my real rating.
Actually, I am somewhat "nervous" whether I will be able to keep my current rating and I wouldn´t be really surprised (or disappointed), would I drop some points...
But here we go, yet another attempt to push myself into new hights!

Next to repeating some variations with Black - which is something I will have to do throughout the coming days again and again (hoping that these few days will at least help me to survive the openings), I followed Sämisch versus Nimzowitsch in "Chess for Hawks", where the following position caught my attention (Black to move):
His knight is somewhat x-rayed by the white queen. Knowing that, Black´s move is a surprise (and not the best according to the computer): Bd6.    At first, it seems like this is even worsening things - as after e4 and Nf6 both black´s minor pieces are attacked! Sämisch definitely anticipated this and had the following position already in his head:
Hmm - Lakdawala (author of Chess for Hawks) concluded
1) Two healthy pawns; including an intruding and connected passed e-pawn
2) Control over White´s second rank
3) A massive territorial advantage
4) Most importantly - totally immobilized White pieces

Well, I can give four times "yes" - for sure. But that is "now" - I am, unfortunately, pretty sure that I wouldn´t have considered sacrificing my knight...   8-(   Still so  much to learn....  8-(

No comments: