Tuesday 20 December 2016

Day 262 / 103 to go

Finally, I finished Soltis book.  To summarise it briefly, the first half is good, almost very good, but the second half is not really my taste: it mainly deals with incorrect calculations, blunders and stuff. For me, there was not really much to learn from that section. Maybe I am simply not fully aware of what he tries to tell me...
Nevertheless, on a more abstract level I will (try to) keep the following in mind, which is my personal distillation of the last 2 chapters of his book:

Lasker´s Law: When you see a good move, don´t play it but look for a better one! (Sit on your hands!)
GM Szabó´s advice: After you´re finished calculating, calculate one move further!
Ideally, this becomes my new motto and I will, finally, really start doing exactly that. In many exercises during my various training sessions so far, I repeatingly made exactly the mistake of stopping my calculation one move too early!

On top, I did some opening theory - this time for White!  😉

I ended this training day with analysing two positions within Smith´s book. Here´s today´s annoying one - White to move:
Can you image that I didn´t consider Qxe7 at all! Sad sad sad  😟

No comments: